Exemplory case of comparison essay the theory is that of literature: the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism
Literature is a particular types of art that can help to comprehend the present-day history and also to know the way the key tendencies of social development in the past were formed.
Write about formation of styles at the start of essay
The aesthetics of classicism, which developed in Western European culture during the end of the seventeenth century, determined the ideological content of literary works, the strict system of poetic rules and the axioms of plot construction, reflecting the thought of orderliness and perfection regarding the universe, nature and culture.
The « sensitive » literature of sentimentalism that emerged in the second half for the eighteenth century was designed to show and educate on examples and images that cause empathy, which awakens high feelings, guided by the proven fact that all evil may be overcome.
Within our literature as much as the beginning of the XIX century, classicism and sentimentalism developed, complementing one another and pursuing the same goal: which will make society perfect, by affirming the rational principles of morality and also the rules of human behavior. How to achieve this goal within the philosophy of classicism had been thought as the assertion for the supremacy of order, form, hierarchy and had been centered on a definite division of creative styles and genres. The theorists of classicism paid special attention to drama and poetry. Epic poems and tragedies in which the foundation of this plot is definitely important historic events, and actors – the gods and strongest for this globe, demanded a lofty poetic composition, ruled spatial turns. These people were related to the « high » genre.
The spoken language and stylistically lowered images could simply be present in satires, fables and comedies, which fixed this is of « low » genres. Obligatory observance regarding the unity of the time, place, action and guidelines of constructing tragedy and drama with exposure, zygote, growth of action, culmination and resolution limited the chance of stage-based discovery of images, but emphasized the inviolability of order, the text of cause and impact, quality expression of the main concept of the task. Sentimentalism allowed more freely to utilize the method of creative expression. Attention to household details, a description of emotional experiences, the image of this inner world of man along with his closeness to nature demanded and new literary forms. The epistolary genre, sentimental novel, travel notes come in the literary works. The development of sentimentalism greatly expanded the number of choices of artistic prose and caused it to be more democratic: the attention of both article writers and visitors was the fate of a regular individual, clear, near, causing interest and compassion.
To conclude of essay give brief comparison of designs
Thus, the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism can be follows:
- The topic of the image within the works of classicism are essential, significant occasions that determine the fate of someone who is obliged to obey the founded order and also the determined program of events.
- In the middle of attention of authors – sentimentalists – the inner realm of heroes, effective at deeply feel and experience.
- Classicism is just a literary trend where the foundation regarding the artistic method could be the division of works into « high », « medium » and « low » genres.
- Sentimentalism won’t have such a division, because its task is always to https://eliteessaywriters.com/medical-editing-proofreading-services/ educate the sensory faculties, using an array of visual means for this purpose.
- The key genres of classicism are the epic poem, tragedy, ode, drama, heroic story, comedy, satire and fable.
- Genres characteristic of sentimentalism are a definite novel, letters, diaries, travel records.
- Classicalism argued educational ideas in line with the subordination of personal feelings of debt to society.
- Representatives of sentimentalism considered the inner realm of heroes as a harmonious whole.
- They thought that educating a single individual, it is possible to enhance the whole society.